Town of Phelps Highway Facility
In need of a new Highway Garage Facility, the Town of Phelps sought MRB Group to replace an existing 70 year-old Highway Garage that was undersized, outdated, and partly damaged from a past fire. The new facility was programmed and developed to meet current and projected future needs. MRB Group was retained to provide architectural, site design (including site plan studies) and structural engineering services.
Through collaboration with the Committee, and Town and Highway representatives, the facility was planned as a new 14,000 s.f. structure incorporating 10 garage bays, a repair bay, offices, break room, locker room, storage areas and mezzanine. The building was designed as a pre-engineered structure with a masonry block base. The new facility includes:
- Full building fire prevention sprinker system
- Garage bays that are at least two vehicles in depth
- Drive-thru capability, which promotes efficiency and safety
- Radiant floor heat system
- Mechanics bay with space for a vehicle lift and a three ton hoist crane.
The in-house coordination between MRB Group’s architectural, structural and site departments was invaluable. This was proven to be most evident in that MRB Group’s construction estimate was within 1.5% of the awarded bid.